GILA COUNTY – Gila County School Superintendent Linda O’Dell is proud to announce that Gila County Teacher of the Year Award nominations for the 2015-16 school year are now being accepted. Teachers can be nominated by an educator, an administrator, a parent or a community member.
Celebrating its sixth year, the Gila County Teacher of the Year Program recognizes excellence in teaching by honoring K-12 professional educators from public and charter schools who have made outstanding academic contributions to Gila County’s school-aged children. The Gila County Teacher of the Year will receive a $500 cash award and a plaque.
To be eligible for selection as the Gila County Teacher of the Year, the nominated teacher must:
1. Spend the majority (70% or more) of the school day in direct instruction with students;
2. Be currently certified to teach in the State of Arizona;
3. Have a minimum of three years of teaching experience in Gila County;
4. Teach any subject, grade or combination of grades Pre-Kindergarten through 12 in any public or charter school in Gila County; and
5. Plan to continue in an active teaching status in the upcoming school year in Gila County.
“It is my sincere hope that those involved in the educational community will take time to acknowledge the efforts of teachers who have worked to achieve excellence in the classroom,” says O’Dell. “I encourage school and district administrators and educators as well as parents and community members to nominate an outstanding educator as the Gila County Teacher of the Year. I welcome your participation in this opportunity to acknowledge, celebrate and promote excellence in education in Gila County.”
The Teacher of the Year nomination packet is available for download at www.gilacountyesa.org under Upcoming Events/Teacher of the Year. A copy of the packet can also be picked up at the Gila County Schools Office, located at the Gila County Courthouse in Globe. The deadline to submit nomination packets is Tuesday, March 1 by 5 p.m.
For more information, please contact Holly Sow at the Gila County School Superintendent’s Office at 928-402-8784 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.