Mammoth Over-Treatment of Water Caused Sickness

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather

Events regarding over-treatment of Mammoth Water on 6/19/2014: On Thursday, June 19, I noticed several employees of the Mammoth Water Dept. up at the water tank near our home at 417 W. Sunset Dr., Mammoth. They just kept coming and going all day. One was David Garcia’s vehicle. I thought they were doing extra work to prepare for the new water system, which was said to be coming to our town within the next six months.

That evening, I showered to get ready for the City Council meeting. The water seemed to be full of chlorine. I quickly finished and got out, but, the damage had already been done. My upper respiratory passageways felt burned and things had an odd smell. My throat hurt. My skin smelled of chlorine bleach.

I called the MPD around 1700, knowing the Public Works Dept. would be closed. I talked to Erica, who was the dispatcher and explained my symptoms. I told him this is a non-emergency call, but, felt that someone had over-treated our water. I was worried that someone made a mistake. He told me he would talk to someone in the water dept. and call me back. He did call back and said they’d just treated the water and it should be OK, in time. He said they are draining water from the fire hydrants.

The next day, I felt a little off, and sensitive areas on my body were irritated. We do not have the financial ability to be able to afford fancy reverse osmosis water treatment within our home, so, continued to drink the water. Pablo, from the Water Dept., came out Friday morning to test our water. He said that his tests showed our tap water’s chlorine levels were becoming normal and he’s going around testing the water from the residents who called to complain. We went out to eat at La Casita, where Janie Reynolds told me that she and her husband had adverse effects from the water, as well, including skin irritation and burning throat.

Saturday, I felt really tired and took a nap. i woke up with a headache. Sunday, I felt even worse. I had a headache, felt weak, very nauseous, had diarrhea, and was very tired. I slept most of the day and didn’t go to church or anywhere else.

I stopped drinking the tap water and had Bud go to the store to buy bottled drinking water. We are now looking into other ways to bring water into our home, even though we are paying a monthly water bill. It doesn’t make sense. My biggest question is why we weren’t warned before they excessively treated the water?

I am recording this information in hopes that it will prevent harm to others, who are older and more infirm than I, by consuming or bathing in water here in Mammoth.

/s/ Deanna Louise Paine

Staff (3808 Posts)

There are news or informational items frequently written by staff or submitted to the Copper Basin News, San Manuel Miner, Superior Sun, Pinal Nugget or Oracle Towne Crier for inclusion in our print or digital products. These items are not credited with an author.


Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather
Facebooktwitterby feather

Comments are closed.

  • Additional Stories

    Local business, residents support food drive and toiletries, diaper drive

    February 16th, 2017
    by

      Our hats off to the Manager of the Dollar General store in Oracle. Family First appreciates the support Richard has […]


    Potluck or not?

    February 7th, 2017
    by

      Some questions have arisen recently regarding “Potlucks” at the Oracle Community Center.  The following is provided by County Health staff for residents’ […]


    Superior Food Bank recaps 2016, announces plans for 2017

    January 25th, 2017
    by

      We have had a very wonderful and busy year. This is due to the great people who came to […]


    JP Court Redistricting?

    January 17th, 2017
    by

      There have been many questions in the Copper Corridor regarding the Superior Court’s possible realignment of JP Courts in […]


  • Additional Stories

    Reader speaks out to local youth

    January 10th, 2017
    by

      To the young individuals and to those who are at the lowest point in their lives,   Having a […]


    Pinal County treasurer says farewell at her retirement

    January 3rd, 2017
    by

      When I started working in the Pinal  County Treasurer’s office 25 years ago, I had no idea it would […]


    San Manuel resident calls attention to wildcat dumpers, illegal trappers in desert near town

    December 22nd, 2016
    by

    My wife and I walk our three dogs in the desert area behind the churches, west of the village, twice […]


    Dry Heat: Artificial Intelligence

    December 22nd, 2016
    by

    Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) is the intelligence exhibited by machines or computers. A.I. is slowly taking over our world. The science […]


  • Copperarea

  • [Advertisement.]
  • [Advertisement.]
  • [Advertisement.]
  • Southeast Valley Ledger