By John Hernandez
Members of the Mammoth Fire District held a Board meeting on Friday, Feb. 20, reorganizing in preparation for the election on May 15 of a three person Board to oversee the Volunteer Fire Department.
Fred “Rick” Sanchez is currently the appointed Administrator for the Fire Department. He has been working with Fire Chief Rodolfo Burrola, Assistant Chief Ricardo Romo, Secretary Sue Burrola, Captain Martin Ponce and the firefighters to improve the efficiency and capabilities for the Fire Department.
Items discussed and actions taken at the board meeting include:
• Discussed the upcoming budget and possible changes. An increase in the budget will be requested. The current accountant will be asked to stay on as the accountant or auditor but he cannot be both. The insurance contract will be reviewed.
• The possible change of duties was discussed as well as the training of firefighters and the use of log in sheets.
First Responder classes will start on March 6.
The new landing zone will have a direct road from Highway 77 put in.
New t-shirts will be purchased for the firefighters.
Captain Martin Ponce and firefighter Shannon Dominguez were presented an award by Administrator Sanchez and Fire Chief Burrola for their outstanding work responding to a serious accident in Tucson.
The Fire Department is negotiating with University Medical Center for them to be the Mammoth Fire Department’s Base Hospital. They would provide advice and information to first responders over the phone during emergencies if needed and would review their medical treatment reports and advise them how to improve on certain things. Shannon Dominguez will be the Liaison between the hospital and the Fire department.
• A discussion on the protocols and actions needed for gas leaks in homes and businesses was held. Administrator Sanchez will get with the Mammoth Police Department to coordinate the plan of notification and action. The Board approved a donation to the San Manuel Elks Project Graduation.
• The purchase of safety equipment was approved including radio batteries and new hoses. It was decided that a bid would be put out for vehicle maintenance. The Fire Department will have more testing done on the Scott Air Packs and pump testing on the trucks. The board approved the purchase of a Glas Master and a vent hose for exhaust.
• Monthly bills were reviewed and the fixing of the Fire House roof was discussed.
As of Friday the Pinal County Elections Department reported that no one has asked for an election packet to run for the position of Board Member for the Mammoth Volunteer Fire District. If you are interested in running for the board, contact the Pinal County Elections Department at (520)866-7550.