In response to Editorials published in the San Manuel Miner on July 23, 2014 from DeAnna Martinez, Joseph Brewer and Donald Jones .
1. DeAnna Martinez Letter – Complaint made about treatment of Mammoth Librarian
a. I did not “scream, curse or reprimand” Ms. Miller.
b. In a calm, low tone, I advised Ms. Miller that if she ever goes over my head again she should have another job lined up because I am not going to put up with this anymore.
c. Ms. Miller stated that if the children heard what I said, it went right over their heads and there were no “ohhh” or “burn” as state in Ms. Martinez’s complaint.
d. I contacted Ms. Theobald, who was standing immediately behind me, asking what she heard me say to Ms. Miller. She said “nothing”, but she could tell that it was disturbing by the look on Letha’s face. I asked her again “Are you sure you didn’t hear what I said?”Again her reply was “no”.
2. Joseph S. Brewer Letter – Lack of 2013 audit explained to Mammoth residents.
a. The incomplete audit for 2013 is due to the lack of information requested by the auditors to complete the audit for the fiscal year 2011-12. This information is needed before the auditors can move forward to complete the 2013 audit. The fiscal year in question ended June 30, 2012. I was hired by the Mammoth Town Council in June 2012. Please recall that when I became Interim Manager/Clerk I was faced with the following issues that had a bearing on the recovery of this information:
* The computer was wiped clean of documents that would have been beneficial in the transition process from one administration to the other.
* Passwords were not available to access the computer programs.
A great deal of office hours has been expended in an attempt to locate the requested information.
b. “Undocumented credit card charges”:
Mr. Brewer requested only copies of the credit card bank statements. He did not ask for document supporting charges. If Mr. Brewer would have requested the back-up documents he would have found:
1. The Lego Shop at Home was a charge made prior to my being hired. It was a charge made by the past librarian, Diana Sterling, for a summer reading program. This was funded by grant monies. This is also true with meals charged by the library. Ms. Sterling purchased meals and snacks for the guest speakers and for the children in the reading program. Again this was reimbursed to the Town from grant monies.
2. Grocery store – There are occasional purchases made to vendors for items such as water and Gatorade for the public work employees. We want to keep them hydrated as they do work in the hot sun.
3. Restaurants. We have council members and staff who travel for Town business and are entitled to having their meals paid. We also have a policy that we pay for meals when the auditors are here. We also pay for the meals of the election workers when working the Town’s elections, and the Town purchased $5 pizzas for the first teen night of the years at the pool.
c. Over a MILLION DOLLARS unaccounted for.
I don’t know how Mr. Brewer arrived at the figures stated in his letter. It is difficult to respond to such allegations given the lack of correct information. He talks about not having invoices when he should say receipts. The Town does maintain receipts for expenditures which would account for the one million dollars. This information is also provided to the auditors. Unfortunately Mr. Brewer makes serious allegations based on bank statements, no backup documentation and a wild imagination. I regret that he is incapable of understanding budgets and accounting. He should listen more carefully and not attempt to be a self-appointed auditor.
d. Auditor General.
I have been in contact with the Auditor General’s office regarding the 2011-2012 audit as well as the 2012-2013 audit. I inquired as to whether or not they have received calls from Mammoth citizens and I told them about Mr. Brewer’s letter stating that people may be going to jail. The answer was “Yes their office had received a call”. Their office then contacted our auditor who confirmed the information I stated above in item II a. regarding the audit issues and they are satisfied with the Town’s continuing effort and cooperation.
e. 2015 Budget:
My “cohorts” and I (this includes Councilmember Brewer) have had two budget meetings. I presented facts to the Council. At this time, they were offered a chance to ask questions and/or make comments. If questions were asked, they were answered honestly; if comments were made, they were considered. For at least four evenings I worked until after 7:00 p.m. to get a balanced budget to present to the Council for approval. The 2014-15 fiscal year budget was passed unanimously on July 14th, by the Mammoth Town Council. Mr. Brewer should have expressed his opinions and concerns at the budget hearings instead opting to have published such scandalous accusations.
III. Don Jones Letter – Resident registers complaint against town clerk
Recall petition – Mr. Jones never came to my office during the entire process of recall petition applications and recall nomination petitions for any reason. He did not request information or assistance in these matters. Instead, Mr. Brewer came in for him. When I telephoned Mr. Jones advising him that his recall petitions did not have certain required information (name of a candidate to be recalled), he stated, “If I have to name a candidate it will be that Mayor, but I don’t know anything about this. Call Joe”. If Mr. Jones’ interest was for the Town and its residents he should have shown more interest in having the recall documents properly completed. How could a recall election take place when no specific council member is being recalled? I must assume that Mr. Jones did not receive the complete list of requirements for his campaign manager. Does Mr. Jones’ and Mr. Brewers’ lack of competency make me incompetent?
/s/ Patsy Large
Mammoth Town Clerk/Manager