Gila County will celebrate National County Government Month (NCGM) during the month of April to showcase how the county connects residents and achieves healthy, safe and vibrant communities.
The theme for this year’s celebration of NCGM is “Connecting the Unconnected,” demonstrating how counties deliver “people-centered” services and connect communities. “Gila County is proud of the programs and services we provide to our residents,” says Board Chairman Tim Humphrey. “Our efforts combined with efforts of counties across the country are helping American communities thrive. I encourage all county residents to take advantage of National County Government Month outreach events to learn how the county can assist you and your loved ones.”
Since 1991 the National Association of Counties (NACo) has encouraged counties across the country to raise public awareness and understanding about the roles and responsibilities of counties.
Gila County NCGM public events include:
• Kicking off National County Government Month, the Gila County Board of Supervisors will approve Proclamation No. 2019-01 proclaiming the month of April 2019 as National County Government Month at the Tuesday, April 2, Board of Supervisors’ meeting
• Saturday, April 13, is ‘Dollar Dump Day’ at Gila County Landfills in Payson and Globe. $1 per load reduced rate for residents (not commercial haulers) on the second Saturday each month
• Gila County Animal Care & Control reminds pet owners: low-cost vaccinations at Tractor Supply stores in Payson Wednesdays April 10 and 24, and Globe on Sundays April 14 and 28
• Invite friends to lunch at Gila County Courthouse Tuesday, April 16, from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Hamburger Fry in the outdoor patio – this annual fundraiser supports The United Fund of Globe-Miami
• Earth Day art challenge invites students throughout Gila County to draw or paint unique art on the theme: “Recycling & Our Environment.” Would you believe Gila County’s paper recycling has saved 10 THOUSAND TONS of paper over the years? Impressive! Recycle your newspaper, office paper, magazines, catalogs, junk mail and cardboard at the big blue bins located at schools, near County offices, at Payson Regional Medical Center, and in Tonto Basin next to the Gila County yard. Our recycling effort includes metal, paper, plastic & tires — along with diversion of oil, batteries and computers — adding one month per year to the life of our landfills. Earth Day art contest entries will spotlight what schools, communities – and each of us — can do to protect and enhance our environment. Entries must be submitted no later than Friday, April 19th and will be displayed at the Gila County Courthouse; for details call Sharon Winters at (928) 402-8531
• FREE Green Waste Day Saturday April 20 from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the Buckhead Mesa and also Russell Gulch Landfills – clear your property of weeds, grass clippings, leaves & brush in preparation of wildfire season Green Waste at NO charge today
• STEMFest & Arbor Day Celebration at Gila Community College Saturday, April 27, from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the Globe campus 8274 S. Six Shooter Canyon Rd
• National County Government Month displays in the lobby of the Gila County Courthouse at 1400 E. Ash St. in Globe and also the Gila County Complex located at 610 E. Highway 260, in Payson, to learn more about National County Government Month.
For more information about NCGM, visit the NACo website at: http://www.naco.org/Counties/countiesdo/Pages/ncgm