Dark Skies Spark Oracle Resident’s Appreciation – Result: Steward Observatory

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather

View from Linda Vista road about 1900—postcard sold at Terry and Lawson’s store – property of Evaline Auerbach and used by her permission.

Though people living in the clear, dark skies far from city lights have enjoyed their view of the sky in the Oracle area for many centuries, from the Native Americans to the Biosphere 2, one citizen, Lavinia Steward, has left a lasting legacy with a donation to fund the first observatory at the University of Arizona with a “very large” 36-inch telescope.

That donation, just under one hundred years ago, fulfilled the wishes of Director Andrew Ellicott Douglass at the U of A. Since coming to the university in 1906, he had made do with small or borrowed telescopes in less-than-perfect quarters on campus.

Douglass and the University Program

A borrowed 8-inch refractor telescope had given “long and convincing evidence of the advantages of this Southern Arizona location for astronomical work.” Not only had it shown the division in the nucleus of Halley’s Comet in 1910, but in one of the observing seasons, 72 nights out of 75 were found to be available for work. In the winter of 1913 , a series of forty nights in succession showed 36 workable and 26 of extremely fine character. With all these successes, in September of 1914, Douglass advanced a request for the “large telescope.”

The new University of Arizona president took the request to the Arizona legislature in early 1915 where, according to Douglass “[the legislature] failed to make the appropriation desired.” So, Douglass and the University sought private funds.

The Stewards: Lavinia, Henry and Fred

Meanwhile, Henry and Lavinia Steward with their adopted nephew Fred J. happened to be among those well-do-do people who had moved to Oracle for health and stayed. They first built a small two-storied stucco adobe and used that as a home while building the Steward House by 1895. Both are still standing and are recorded in the Arizona State Historic

Henry Steward, having sold out his oat mill in Joliet, Ohio, could afford this magnificent home —– still known in Oracle as the ”Steward House” though most recently “Grace Manor.” Lavinia lavished her artist skills on the house and garden, as well as continuing her painting (she had been part of an artists’ group in Illinois). Fred throve and soon was off to Tucson to pursue a successful business in banking. However, Henry died in 1902 of heart problems.

Lavinia continued to live alone in the house described as “spacious and stately … with orchard and garden and employee’s quarters, ample grounds, and ivied dignity”. The house contained notable works of art besides those she had painted herself, many on trips to Mexico.

Douglass declared at the dedication of the observatory: Lavinia Steward was, “A charming and lovely character, deeply interested in the arts and sciences. She had shown the wonders of the heavens to her grand-nephew and nieces. She had planned to do something for the university and felt a personal inclination towards providing some astronomical equipment. Thus all conditions were happily favorable for the beginning of the Steward Observatory.”

That bequest —“the princely gift” of $60,000 for building and outfitting the Steward Observatory—came in Oct. 1916. Unfortunately Steward passed away in Aug. 1917.

The telescope

Douglass had chosen a 26-inch reflecting telescope, a rather new technology, citing “extensive tests made with the great 60-inch telescope on Mount Wilson.” Warner & Swayze of Cleveland, Ohio, received the contract for making the telescope structure. However, the mirror was to be made in France, as was usual in 1916-17.

However, WWI delayed the making of the mirror—until The Spencer Lens Company of Buffalo, N. Y. developed the making of optical glass. For most of 1920, Spencer tried their regular glass furnaces without success. Finally, after installing new furnaces, the first all-American telescope became the Steward telescope.

Douglass and two former students had installed the telescope structure at the Steward Observatory building, and the completed glass was received and mounted in July 10, 1922.

Douglass noted, “It is my deep regret that she did not live to look through this magnificent instrument.”

Inset: The value of Lavinia Steward’s gift adjusted for inflation would be equivalent to $1,265,660 in 2013 dollars according to Tom Fleming, Steward Observatory.

At the dedication in 1923, Fred Steward presented the “three-inch telescope which had so long been in the home of his aunt” to Douglass. (This writer has not yet discovered what became of that memento. It is reportedly not in the possession of the Steward Observatory.)

The Observatory had been carefully sited on campus, “away from the lights at the main part of the university” on the site of a former ostrich farm, run by the College of Agriculture. Douglass thought, “The real advantage of the site” [where the Observatory still stands] was “the control of lights, a feature most essential to the success of the observatory.”

However problems with extraneous lights began to arise before the observatory could be built. According to Douglass “If there had been no war [WWI], the Observatory would have been completed in 1918 or 1919. As it was, the glass for the telescope could not be manufactured in France as planned, so it had to be done in the United States – by Warner and Swazey Company of Cleveland, Ohio, who had contracted to do the casing.

As Douglass recounted in 1917, “The area chosen contained practically no houses nearby to the east or north, but …[by 1923] this part of the city has grown rapidly. The city council, however, has expressed the wish for most cordial cooperation with the observatory in the matter of avoiding objectionable lights, of which the common arc light of the city street is the greatest offender.” However, the university itself was to become an offender when the tennis courts, always near the observatory, were given permission to add lights.

Lights cause removal to Kitt Peak

By 1963, the Steward Observatory’s once solitary, dark-sky setting had been encroached upon by an expanding Tucson and an expanding campus necessitating a move to Kitt Peak—now the site of most of University of Arizona astronomy, along with much international work. The Steward Observatory’s original, “Steward” telescope was removed from that dome for relocation; a smaller telescope was installed for student use.

Since 1982, the telescope has been used by the Space Watch Project: “Once at Kitt Peak, the telescope began its new uses. After 1980, the director of the Steward Observatory granted the Spacewatch Project—a group at the University of Arizona’s Lunar and Planetary Laboratory—exclusive access to the telescope on the condition that Spacewatch take on all the tasks of refurbishing the telescope and performing all maintenance.”

The primary goal of Spacewatch is to explore the various populations of small objects in the solar system, and study the statistics of asteroids and comets in order to investigate the dynamical evolution of the solar system. Spacewatch also finds potential targets for interplanetary spacecraft missions, provides followup astrometry of such targets, and finds objects that might present a hazard to the Earth.

Thus, the interest in dark skies begun by an artist and humanitarian in Oracle, became the catalyst for the University of Arizona’s internationally renowned astronomical studies.

Author’s Note: Article by Evaline Auerbach, Oracle Historian, with information from the Steward Observatory website and other information at the Arizona Historical Society and the Oracle Historical Society.

Thanks to Thomas A. Fleming, Steward Observatory, for assistance with the photographs and for corrections to the history.

Evaline Auerbach (16 Posts)

Born at the beginning of the just pre-baby-boom year of 1943, Evaline May Jones was a Kansan until she left, in1968, to teach at a community college campus in Centerville, IA. She grew up on a farm near Frankfort, finished a BA and MA in English education at Kansas State University and taught for a year at Washington, KS, High School and at Catholic high school in Manhattan, KS, the latter while finishing her MA. While in Iowa, she taught English and related courses (journalism, theater, photography). She also earned a Specialist degree in community college education at the University of Iowa (Iowa City) and had journalism courses at Iowa State (Ames). When arthritis in her spine became a real problem, she was advised to take a job in the Southwest, so when the first full-tiime English position at Aravaipa Campus, CAC, opened up, she applied. Although she had to convince them that she REALLY wanted to work at a campus literally on the edge of a wilderness area, she got the job. She began work at Aravaipa in the fall of 1975, moved from Kearney to Oracle in 1976 and has been in Oracle since. In Oracle, she began work with the Oracle Historical Society, was a founding member and President twice. Local history became her most-loved hobby, although she did not forget drama. She produced a play called Deadwood Dick, which became the first play for a theater troupe now known as SPATs: San Pedro Actors Troupe. It was a course taught under the auspices of CAC, but the group preferred to go ahead on their own - and are still going strong on their own. Meanwhile she married Abraham Auerbach in December 1980, in the historic Union Church, holding the reception in the Acadia Ranch Museum. She made sure they returned from their honeymoon in time to celebrate the centennial of the American Flag post office building and the installation of the history plaque (Dec. 28, 1980) They produced David in late 1982 and she took sabbatical to return to Iowa to complete a PhD (in instructional design) from May 1983 through summer of 1984. While back in Iowa City, with baby and husband in tow, she began to have more problems with the arthritis, Once back to Oracle, she was a little better, but eventually had three operations on the spine. She had to retire in 1995 on disability. Nevertheless, she continued to work at volunteer jobs: as a docent at Biosphere 2 (on her electric scooter), at the Oracle Library, at the Oracle Community Center, as a medicare counselor for the Pinal-Gila Council on Senior Citizens, and finally, back to the Oracle Historical Society. More recently she served at the Tri-Community Visitors’ Center and the Copper Corridor group, serving the Oracle through Superior area. Now, she is busy helping the Oracle Dark Skies Committee to nominate the Oracle State Park as a designated International Dark Skies Park. She has also taught some courses through CAC on local history, leading local and out-of-town people to see some of the historic places in and around Oracle. She started a small business selling books about local history which has expanded to be “Evaline’s Local Books, Oracle, etc.” Lately she has given talks on Oracle History and led groups on tours, such as a two-day tour for the Arizona Historical Society docents, coming up soon for the Arizona Historical Society Docent Council. She has written articles about history and done some reviews for local newspapers. David was off to China to work for a while and then to Boston, working in financial analysis at Boston Scientific. In March of 2011, Abe, whom she had been caring for at home for about four years as he became less able, had to enter a care home. In January of 2014, loyal and very supportive to the end - Abe passed away at Grace Manor in Oracle. Evaline plans to keep exploring history, Oracles and her own ancestry. She will continue to write and plans to travel as her own health improves.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather
Facebooktwitterby feather

Comments are closed.

  • Additional Stories

    Globe Historic Home and Building Tour set for April 7-8

    March 22nd, 2018

      The 34th annual Historic Home and Building Tour is set for April 7-8 in Globe. Early day homes that […]

    Sue Armbrust – Playing with ‘Mudd’ Pies

    March 11th, 2018

    As a child, Sue Armbrust enjoyed making mud pies. Sue is still playing with “mud”, exploring her artistic side with […]

    Women Who Lead in the Copper Corridor

    March 11th, 2018

    As mothers, we have tried to teach our daughters that they can do anything they set their minds to. Just […]

    Got ghosts? The Town of Superior Might

    February 19th, 2018

    And that’s what the Phoenix Scientific Paranormal Investigations was there to find out when they visited last year. Superior has […]

  • Additional Stories

    ‘White Boots’ Ghost of the Magma Mine

    February 19th, 2018

      There is a local ghost story that comes out of the San Manuel Magma Copper Mine that has been […]

    Hauntings and ghosts along the Copper Corridor

    February 19th, 2018

      Along the Copper Corridor there are a few tales of ghosts and hauntings that have appeared in books and […]

    Walking amongst the Ghosts of Globe

    February 19th, 2018

      The once thriving mining town of Globe is taking advantage of its Wild West history and the colorful old […]

    Ghost Towns of the Copper Corridor

    February 19th, 2018

    A ghost town is defined as a town or city that has been abandoned due to a natural or human […]

  • Copperarea

  • [Advertisement.]
  • [Advertisement.]
  • [Advertisement.]
  • Southeast Valley Ledger