By John Hernandez
Barbara Kemp Cowlin lives in Oracle with her photographer husband James.
James is well known for his photographs of U.S. Route 89. Barbara travels with him and takes snapshots of her own which she turns into paintings.
Her favorite medium is acrylic. The images she likes to create include water reflections in the desert and what she calls “nooks and crannies,” which she describes as overlooked spaces in public places. She loves to paint and is “inspired by unexpected beauty, color, texture and light.”
Besides painting, Barbara enjoys printmaking and bookmaking.
Her career in the arts includes working as a graphic designer, arts administrator and art teacher. She has a BFA and Master’s degree in Fine Arts. She has taught art at all levels from first grade to college. Her art has been displayed at the City of Phoenix Arts Collection, the Art in Embassies program at the U.S. Embassy in Bolivia, Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix, the Arizona Gallery at the University of Arizona, Casa Grande Art Museum and numerous exhibits throughout the United States.
She currently has a piece on display at Tohono Chul Park in Tucson. The exhibit is entitled “Paper: From All Sides” and includes paper art from numerous artists. It will be on display until April 21.
She will have a show at Rancho Linda Vista in Oracle from April 7 – 28. The opening reception is Sunday, April 7, from 2 to 5 pm.
Now that Barbara is enjoying being a full time artist, she has found time to offer art workshops at her studio in Oracle. Some of the workshops she is offering now include:
• April 2 and 3, Tuesday and Wednesday, 10 am to 2 pm – Drawing From Photographs
• April 9 and 10, Tuesday and Wednesday, 10 am to 2 pm – Drawing From The Still Life
• April 16, Tuesday 10 am – 2 pm – Stamps and Patterns
• April 23 and 24, Tuesday and Wednesday, 10 am – 2 pm, Bits and Pieces, Collage!
• May 7 and 8, Tuesday and Wednesday, 10 am – 2 pm, Papermaking with Val Bembenek
• May 14 and 15, Tuesday and Wednesday, 10 am – 2 pm – Accordion Fold Books, Simple to Splendid
• May 21 and 22, Tuesday and Wednesday, 10 am – 2 pm – Paper Mache with Val Bembenek
• May 28, Tuesday, 10 am – 2 pm – Open Studio For Crafts
• May 28, Tuesday, 10 am – 2 pm – Open Studio For Drawing and Painting
• Printmaking in June, June 4 and 5, Tuesday and Wednesday, 10am – 2pm – Monotype Printmaking
For more information about the art workshops, to view Barbara’s paintings or ask her a question visit her website or call during the day at (520) 896-2824.